Skip to Content
University of California
UCCE Orange County Master Gardeners
Beekeeping Class Schedule
- 10/6/18 - The Honey Bee: A Fabulous Insect. Orange County Fair and Event Center / Centennial Farm Time=TBD.
This hour and a half class is dedicated to the history of honey bees, their origin and whereabouts in the world and the grand voyage to America, as well as their development, important role in the ecosystem, and communication system. In addition, pesticides, colony collapse disorder and few afflictions will be discusses. Finally some positive advice will be given to help honey bees and pollinators in general thrive and stay healthy. Included; A honey tasting!
This 90 minute class has been developed to share timely, and research-based information with the students.
- 10/13/18 - Beekeeping 101; Introduction to Beekeeping. At South Coast Research and Extension Center Time = 9am to noon
This 3 hour class is entirely devoted to the history of beekeeping over the years, the equipment and protective gear necessary to start keeping honey bees.
- 11/3/18 - Beekeeping 102; Honey Bee Colony
This 3 hour class is focused on the honey bees’ colony activities and behaviors, their life and reproductive cycles, as well as their communication and orientation systems. This information will help with understanding honey bees as an essential part of our ecosystem.
- 12/1/18 - Beekeeping 103; Honey Bee Products. At South Cost Research and Extension Center Time = 9 am to noon
This 3 hour class is dedicated to the benefits that honey bees bring to our lives and the different products that those tiny pollinators are offering which are helpful to us every day, such as honey, beeswax, pollen, propolis, royal jelly and of course apitherapy.
- 1/19/19 - Beekeeping 201; Honey Bee Health. At South Coast Research and Extension Center Time = 9 am to noon
This 3 hour class is entirely devoted to the health of the honey bees, their diseases, parasites, pests, predators and possible solutions to help our bees along the way to stay healthy in a changing environment.
- 2/23/19 - Beekeeping 202; Honey Bees:Pesticides, CCD, Research and Hope. At SCREC. Time = 9 am to noon
This 3 hour class is focuses on the history of pesticides and how it relates and affects honey bees, Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), and hope for the future of this little busy insect.
- 3/16/19 - Beekeeping 203; Seasonal Honey Bee Colony Management. At South Coast Research and Extension Center Time = 9 am to noon
This 3 hour class is an overview of the tasks and expectations (management) of owning honey bee colonies. Dividing the beekeeping year in different seasons will help the new or future beekeeper to learn plan and anticipate obstacles that may arise while raising honey bees.
Webmaster Email: email@example.com